Saturday, November 6, 2010

Homemade Spanish Rice

Okay, so maybe you already make Spanish Rice at home. But I have to admit something. For a long time I was dependent on Rice-A-Roni Spanish Rice. It was easy, tasted fairly good, and it was convenient. We always added black beans and diced tomatoes to dress it up. Well, finally, finally I decided to branch out and make it from scratch. (I'm doing it one recipe at a time.)
As soon as it was cooking I knew it was far better than the boxed stuff. It smelled amazing. And when I tasted it - oh my goodness! Rice-A-Roni can't touch this stuff! So, here you go. I'm sharing the good stuff.

Spanish Rice
(Adapted from a Simply Recipes recipe.)

2 Tbsp. olive oil (can use up to 1/4 cup)
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, minced (I used a huge tablespoon of pre-minced garlic)
2 c. medium or long-grain white rice, uncooked
3 cups chicken stock*
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 cup diced fresh or canned tomatoes
A hand-sized hunk of leftover roast or rotisserie chicken, chopped (optional)
1 cup black beans, rinsed if from a can
Pinch of oregano
1 tsp. salt

In a medium skillet brown the rice on medium-high heat. Next throw in the onion and minced garlic and saute, stirring frequently until onions are soft - about 4 minutes. 

In a separate saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a simmer. Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes, chicken (optional), black beans, oregano, and salt. Add the rice to the broth. Bring to a simmer again. Cover. Lower heat and cook 15-25 minutes, depending on the type of rice and the instructions on the rice package. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes. 

Serves 4 to 6.

*I usually cook my chicken breasts or thighs in water to keep them moist and then save the brothy water in a container in the fridge. This is a really simple way to make your own broth without having to buy a whole chicken and boil the carcass with veggies and herbs and stuff (which I do too, and it's so yummy!). And you don't ever have to buy broth or stock. Nice!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...