Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year and a New Place

Happy New Years! I'm typing from the floor in the basement of our new place in Maryland. The moving truck isn't scheduled to come until Tuesday, and let me tell you for someone who likes to stay busy and organize stuff, this has been the longest week ever! We got here Monday and I swear I never thought Saturday would come. Being away from the internet has been good for me - especially since it was a treat to have a lot to catch up on with my favorite blogs.
Already we've gotten snow... and then rain... and now most of the snow is gone and I laugh in triumph. Rain?? In January? We're not at high altitude in the west anymore baby! Even the air smells different here. I can actually smell the coast - which is not too far away and it smells lovely. I can't wait to see the ocean again.

I wonder about this new place. Will I be able to get local cheese or milk or will we be here long enough for us to get that little house on a few acres? A new place is full of possibilities just like this new year. I've got some good goals to work toward - not to mention a new baby coming next month. It's going to be a busy, crazy, frustrating time hopefully full of joys, successes and fun. Here's to the new year and a new start in a new place!

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Hope it's a bit less stressful now.
Yes, self-sustaining is a lot of work; our neighbors across the street have chickens and grow all their food. They even have two pigs that till the soil in the garden, and a power-generating windmill. They are also both retired.

However, as a full-time teacher, it seems impossible to have the time to do these things. All the best-- and tell me how you made that homemade laundry soap.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...