Saturday, April 9, 2011

Swiffer Meets NONdisposables

We've got this fake wood laminate in our kitchen. It's really smooth and a broom doesn't help very much when it comes to cleaning up hair and dust. Our landlords left their Swiffer broom when they moved out. I told myself I would never buy one of those - it only promotes the disposable mindset in our country. But there it was, waiting to be used and I didn't have a regular broom. So I used it, and I was dismayed to find that it did such an amazing job at getting up all this dust I could never even see! So, I unwillingly got sucked up into the Swiffer disposable culture and I've been trying to extricate myself ever since... Then came the fateful day when someone said 5 magical words to me: "Oh, I knit my own."

What?!? Knitted Swiffer sheet thingys?

Well, since then I've found out a couple more make-your-own Swiffer sheet replacements:

1. Used dryer sheets - Okay, so these are still a disposable, but you're reusing a dryer sheet that you would have thrown away anyway. My good friend, Jeanna, uses this method and she loves them. I don't like or use dryer sheets, so this wasn't an option for me. If you don't use dryer sheets either I suppose you could always get a friend to donate theirs to you.

2. Knitted or crocheted. - Just knit a simple rectangle from a fine cotton yarn, use it, toss it in the washing machine and reuse it again! Yippee!

3. Flannel - I have a lot of flannel baby receiving blankets that I somehow managed to never use. I've been wondering what I should do with them and now I know! I'll cut them up and a quick zigzag stitch should, hopefully, seal the edges enough to wash and rewash them in the washing machine.

In case you were wondering, here are the dimensions of a Swiffer sheet thingy = 8 3/4" x 10 1/2"

Now, go make your own!

3 comments:

Holly Hox said...

Yay! We have a swiffer knock-off that uses washable micro-fiber cloths. I've been calling it our 'eco-swiffer'. I too, fell into the swiffer trap, and feel so much better about using this one. Thanks for sharing the swiffer sheet replacement ideas--like dryer sheets, who knew?

Beanie's Mama said...

We have a washable thingy for our mop. Do update on how the knitted ones go-- with photo tutorial! ;-)

Emily said...

Yeah, I tried the dryer sheets and was not impressed at all. I think I'll try the flannel next!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...