Monday, May 16, 2011

Cornmeal Molasses Pancakes

You may have read before of my failed attempt to turn sour milk into yogurt. Well, I had some more sour milk on my hands. It seems the wonderful grass-fed organic cows milk we buy goes sour if we don't drink it fast enough. (Since my son is now lactose-intolerant, we don't go through milk as fast as we used to.) This is a good thing, actually, because I never buy buttermilk. I'm too lazy, I guess, and I never use it all in time. This is where the sour milk comes in!

I was looking for a way to use my sour milk, which can be used in place of buttermilk. I forgot I had printed off this recipe for Cornmeal Molasses Pancakes and so I gave it a whirl for breakfast this morning. Whoa! It was amazing! This is a delicious variation on pancakes if you're looking to change it up a bit. We drizzled on some pure maple syrup and I was in heaven! It helps that I absolutely adore cornmeal. (And just a note - the molasses does not come out strongly. It just adds a deeper flavor to the mix.) The cornmeal gives it a lovely texture too. Mmmm!

Cornmeal Molasses Pancakes

adapted from recipezaar
makes 16-20 pancakes

1 large egg
1 1/4 cup buttermilk (or sour milk)
1 generous Tbsp. dark molasses
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal

In a small bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, molasses, vanilla extract and butter. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
Add the cornmeal and stir until just mixed. The batter may be a bit lumpy. That's ok.
Drop 2 tablespoonfuls of batter onto a hot, greased griddle, or cast iron skillet.
Flip when browned and cook through. Place on an oven proof plate in a 200ºF oven to keep pancakes warm while you cook the rest of the batter.

Serve with butter and maple syrup, molasses, honey, or blackberry syrup. Yipee!

1 comment:

Beanie's Mama said...

THAT'S what I remembered you didn't like too much of: molasses.

I really shouldn't read your blog when I'm hungry.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...