Sunday, June 10, 2012

PIGS



Okay, so I don't even have my chickens yet. I think we're waiting until the spring. (It's so hard taking one step at a time when you finally have your house and land!) Anyway, today I was talking with my husband about how I wanted to use our 1/2 acre woods to keep a couple pigs. After we chatted about it, he was totally on board! Whoa! I wasn't expecting that, but I am so excited that he is so supportive. We talked about fencing we'd need and where we'd put the fence. Ever since reading this article in Mother Earth News about raising pastured pigs and how amazing their meat tastes, I have dreamed of raising my own pigs. I'd like to raise a heritage breed like Tamworth, but I have no clue what's available out here or if I'd be able to find many heritage breeds. That means there's more research to do! We're not getting pigs any time soon; maybe within the next couple years, but it's exciting to plan out the use of our land. My husband doesn't know it yet, but there are also bees in the future.... mwahahahaha! But still. It's one step at a time. There's so much to do!

Mmmm! Bacon!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...