Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Beans

I am totally in love with making beans from scratch. They taste so fresh and filling! I've only ever made things with beans from a can. Those cans, unknowingly, turned into a crutch. There was just something so intimidating about those bags of dry beans. Everything I had heard made them sound so difficult to cook - they took forever, they tasted chalky if you didn't cook them enough... I don't know. I think I took every excuse I could get to avoid trying them myself. Besides, beans in cans are so easy! When I finally took the plunge I was floored with how easy and delicious the beans were! With every new thing I am learning to make from scratch myself, the more I feel empowered and less dependent on the grocery store.

Next project: homemade rice-a-roni. I'll let you know how it goes and post the recipe!

2 comments:

clair said...

I think dry beans are intimidating too! I have, though, had them made up by someone who new what they were doing and I loved them. I need to give it a try. You inspire me Sarah!

Karen Sue said...

OK..I have lost my job and while I am finding a new one, I think I will start a list of the things to try and beans from scratch is going on the list... I opened pork and beans today for lunch 'cuz the hubby requested it. Are you just making and eating, or making and then canning your own??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...