Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Going Cloth


I did it! Yesterday I made my first official purchase of cloth diapers. That's right. We're switching over from disposables to cloth.

What made me change my mind? Well, a big part of it was my sister-in-law, Amber, who recently switched over and loves it. She did a lot of research and was really enthusiastic to share it all with me.

In my mind, I thought cloth diapers were like what I remember back in 1990. I remember changing my little brother's cloth diaper - pins and icky white plastic pants and all. I wasn't going to go through with that with my children! But after going over Amber's research I was surprised to find that things have changed a lot since then. And I only had to think about it for a few minutes to realize that the switch totally made sense to me and was in line with the way I feel and think. Cloth diapers are totally do-it-yourself and once I buy them I don't have to depend on the store anymore to make sure my daughter has a clean bum. Yay! And laundry is one of those things that I don't mind doing, so... cloth diapers here I come!

What you need for cloth diapers:
* Diaper covers
* liners or tri-fold cloth diapers
* diaper sprayer that attaches to your toilet!
* diaper pail with PUL liner
* a couple of PUL wet bags for soiled diapers when we're out and about
* plenty of homemade wipes made from scraps of flannel (who knew?! Now I know what to do with all the old flannel clothes I was saving.)

(Image from Nature Moms Blog)

5 comments:

clair said...

You go Girl!! You're so awesome! I really don't think I could do cloth diapers. So, good for you.

Frau Niesen said...

That's what we're going for, although we'll probably use a brand like Fuzzibunz or Mio Bambino; we have friends who've already offered to sell us their old ones, and you can rent them for £5 per week from the Oxfordshire County Council. They even have nappy services that will collect the nappies for you and do the cleaning. Yeah, our mouths dropped when our friend Ginny showed us her stash; Frank was raised with cloth diapers, and had bad memories, but we were amazed!

To be honest, I was surprised you hadn't given this a go yet ;-) Good luck! I hope we're both successful!

Frau Niesen said...

PS Look up the Nappy Lady on YouTube for some great reusable diaper advice.

Anonymous said...

Lovely clothesline photo!

I enjoy using cloth diapers with my little ones as well. I am a bit old-fashioned in that I actually prefer the pins and vinyl covers. I have a few homemade felted wool covers that I like, too.

Congratulations on another step toward self-sufficiency!

Amber said...

YEAH for cloth diapers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...