Monday, July 5, 2010

It's FRYday Once Again!

So, yes, I'm a bit late for FRYday. The past week has been crazy and the next two weeks don't look any less crazy, so I cheated. I fried something in the middle of last month. I know, I know! I told myself I wouldn't, but considering the recipe, I just had to! To compensate I didn't fry anything last Friday, so that makes me even. :-) And it worked out because I'm way too busy (and it's way too hot!) to be frying up a storm in my kitchen right now anyway.

I got this recipe from a good friend. It involves tofu, and if that totally freaks you out - don't panic! If you're going to try tofu for the first time, this is the recipe to do it with. So, go get your box of extra-firm and get cooking!


Sweet & Sour Tofu

Canola oil (for frying)
Two boxes extra-firm tofu (found in the refrigerated produce section of your grocery store)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup corn starch
2 eggs
Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

To prepare the tofu:

Heat oil about 1/2" - 1" deep in a deep skillet. While oil is heating, remove the tofu from its package, and place on a plate lined with a few paper towels. With a few more paper towels, gently press the tofu, patting it on all sides with the paper towels, to squeeze out as much water as possible. Be careful not to press too hard or the block will break. Next, cut tofu into approx. 1"x1" cubes. Sprinkle tofu with the garlic powder.

Mix corn starch and flour in a small bowl. Place the tofu in the flour mixture and gently toss until the tofu is coated. Place tofu into egg and toss gently. Then place the tofu into the oil. Fry until golden brown on all sides. Set aside to drain on paper towels.

Sauce:
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar

Mix all these ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Boil for a
couple minutes until it reduces a bit. Watch it, because it could boil
over creating a huge mess.

Place the tofu into an oven safe dish and pour the sauce over the
tofu. Put this into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or so stirring
occasionally.
(You might want to double the sauce recipe, as it doesn’t make very much of it. And you'll want a lot more of it because it is good.)

4 comments:

Sarah Rachelle said...

My editing tool went wonky, but I forgot to mention to serve this tofu with fresh white or brown rice and your favorite steamed veggie. Yum!

Katie said...

Yummy! I need to try this. I've never had tofu so I should give this a whirl. One really dumb question - is chicken stock the same thing as chicken broth?

Holly Hox said...

This sounds so good Sarah! Thanks for sharing :)

Sarah Rachelle said...

I think chicken stock might be a chicken carcass and juices simmered with vegetables and herbs and used for a soup base... or the other way around. Not sure! :-) I just used chicken broth - drippings I'd saved from cooking chicken with the fat skimmed off. Even stuff from a can would work fine, I'm sure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...