Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cinnamon Butternut Squash Muffins

I've been trying to find subtle ways to sneak some squash into our diet. I really like the flavor of butternut squash, but I have a problem with the texture. Not to mention the rest of my family won't eat squash, even to be polite. So, when I found this recipe for Cinnamon Butternut Squash Muffins, I had to give them a try!

Boy, was I floored with how light and fluffy they were! The sweetness is very light and not overpowering like a lot of muffins out there. They could totally have passed for one of those delicious muffins you get at a bakery. And what a great way to use up butternut squash! Here is the recipe with a few of my adaptations:


Cinnamon Butternut Squash Muffins



1 banana, mashed
1 cup cooked and mashed butternut squash
4 eggs
1/3 cup applesauce*
1/3 cup white sugar*
6 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

Optional Topping:
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar

*I think honey would be a great replacement. You could try 1/4 cup honey and keep the applesauce the same or do 1/3 cup honey and reduce the applesauce to 1/4 cup. I've just found that honey makes the batter more liquidy.

Directions
1. In stand mixer or mixing bowl, mix banana, butternut squash, eggs, applesauce, sugar, and oil, until well blended.
2. In separate mixing bowl, combine salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, wheat flour and white flour.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until batter forms.
4. Pour into greased baking cups or muffin tins, and sprinkle with brown sugar-cinnamon topping. Makes 18-24 regular size muffins, 48 mini muffins, or 12 regular muffins and 24 mini muffins.
5. Bake at 350. Regular size muffins for 16-18 minutes. Mini muffins for 13-15 minutes.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...