Sunday, July 15, 2012

Homemade Ice Cream & Fruit Sorbet Recipe


Last year we bought one of those gel canister ice cream makers and have really loved it! Since we started experiencing that horrible heat wave, that gel canister is pretty much in the freezer all the time - just in case I want/need to make ice cream. (haha!) I just love the idea of throwing a few ingredients together (no junk like preservatives, dyes, fake flavors, or corn syrup!) and half an hour later we've got amazing homemade ice cream!

Last week I made this awesome vanilla mint Oreo (alas corn syrup!) ice cream. Oh MAN! Was that stuff delicious! For the peppermint I used 100% pure essential oil* and that was so refreshing - I could feel the mint cooling all the way down to my stomach. Aaah!

Okay, enough about that. Yesterday I made an apricot ginger sorbet that was absolutely delightful! I thought I'd share the recipe for a general fruit sorbet, because it has 4 ingredients and is so easy to make. If you don't have an ice cream maker yet, I'd strongly suggest you get one! (We have a Crofton brand and have been happy with it.)

Fruit Sorbet
(adapted from Nourished Kitchen blog)

2 lbs. fruit, such as strawberries, apricots, peaches, cherries, pineapples etc. halved & pitted or prepared appropriately (in other wise, ready to eat)
1/2 cup honey
3 cups water
1 tsp. vanilla

Bring the 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the fruit and honey and simmer until the fruit is tender. Transfer to a container and chill in the fridge until cold. (I did mine overnight.)

Transfer the fruit and liquid to a blender or food processor, add vanilla, and blend until smooth

Transfer to the ice cream maker and freeze according to the directions.

If you want a more solid sorbet, pour the soft-serve sorbet into a container and freeze until it's the hardness you want for scooping.

Enjoy any time of day, because really, it's just fruit!


The possibilities are endless! I can't wait to try a strawberry/mint sorbet. And I have cherries in my fridge right now. Ooooh, cherry sorbet! Mmmm!!!!

*Not all essential oils are consumable. Make sure the bottle does not say "For topical use only". I use doTerra oils which are 100% pure and are able to be ingested and used in cooking. 

1 comment:

Holly Hox said...

Yumyumyum!!! Our icecream maker died last summer because we had been using it so much and we burned out the motor! This recipe will be made once I get a replacement maker :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...