Monday, August 13, 2012

Homeschooling Begins!

Today I decided we'd officially start our homeschooling. I've been having our 5-year-old son working on some workbooks throughout the summer to gear him up for the schedule and expectation of school every weekday. I think it was a smart decision for us. My son has a hard time with transitions, and this easing into full-time homeschool has made the transition pretty uneventful - which is good.

For Mondays and Wednesdays we have Math and Reading.
Tuesdays and Thursdays are Science and History.
Fridays are reserved for extras like field trips, art, P.E., or whatever we feel like doing.

Since he's only in Kindergarten I'm hoping to keep things simple, do a lot of reading, go on abundant field trips and just enjoy our school year.

Having a 2 1/2 year old is proving to be a challenge for school time. So I'm figuring out that for the first hour we do things that she can enjoy alongside us like doing puzzles, reading, and occasional art projects. (She loved joining in for painting some wooden bird houses!) Once she goes down for her nap, we break out the workbooks and curriculum.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...