Thursday, January 27, 2011

Homemade Mac & Cheese

I'm a little picky about my homemade mac & cheese. I've tried a couple recipes and haven't liked them. I guess my goal is to make a good mac & cheese without the use of Velveeta or any other store-bought shelf-stable cheese. Last Sunday my sweet husband made dinner. He found and cooked this recipe himself and I was thrilled with how yummy it was! It's a great comfort food on a snowy day like today.

Homemade Mac & Cheese

1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (you can find brands that don't add MSG)
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup of your favorite cheese, shredded (we had mozzarella on hand)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
3 cups corkscrew-shaped pasta (or plain ol' macaroni)

Stir the soup, cheeses, milk and black pepper in a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Stir in the pasta.
Bake at 400ºF for 20 minutes and the pasta mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir once and heat for another 10 minutes.

The cream of mushroom soup added nice little mushroom bits. The whole dish was rather pretty and very creamy without being overwhelming. Yummy!

**For less fat you can use skim milk and lower fat cheeses. You could even reduce the cheese to 1 1/2 cups. The sharp cheddar cheese we used was 2% milk fat which is a nice lower-fat cheese that doesn't compromise on flavor or texture.

2 comments:

Beanie's Mama said...

YUM! Can I borrow your hubby? :-) It's amazing what one can do with cream of mushroom soup.

Sarah Rachelle said...

I can just see Frank making this with some of his stinky cheese. heehee!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...